1. Which of the qualitiesrequired for a good document is violated in the following passage?
You now have a good ideaof the overall design and structure of documents, both short and multipage.
Unfortunately, good looks,proper structure, and creative design aren’t enough to garantee an
B.Spelling D.Incorrect hyphenation
2. In which editor’sreference text would you find the following entry?
proofread,v.t., v.i.— proofread, proofreading. To read, as printers’ proofs,in order to detect and mark
errors to be corrected.—proof-read-er,n.
3. The importance ofthoroughly editing and proofreading a document can be stated as which of the
A.The goalof a high-quality, well-written document is virtually impossible to achievewithout
performing these twofunctions in a professional manner.
B.Proofreadingmechanicals by someone other than the electronic publisher isn’t necessaryunless
multipage documents areinvolved.
C.The timeto begin the editing process is when a document’s final proofs are printed forinspection.
D.The goalof a high-quality, error-free document can never be achieved unless separatepeople
perform these twofunctions.
4. How can you find outwhich commands the function keys will send to your computer?
A.Thecommands appear right on the keys.
B.Theuser’s manual for the software program will tell you.
C.Functionsare similar for all programs.
D.Functionkeys appear only on typewriter keyboards.
5. The illustration belowis an example of a(n)
A.editorialstyle sheet. C.specification sheet.
B.stylemanual. D.layout style sheet.
6. The key on a computerkeyboard that lets users depart from an unwanted situation is the ______ key.
7. The editor/proofreaders’mark =/ means
A.insert adash. C.move left.
B.insert ahyphen. D.align vertically.
8. Find the error in thefollowing lines of text.
A computer keyboard is aninput device similar to a typewriter keyboard. An input device allow you to
get data into yourcomputer for processing.
A.In thefirst sentence, the verb is should be replaced with the plural are.
B.In thesecond sentence, the verb allow should be singular like the noun device.
C.In thefirst sentence, the noun typewriter should be hyphenated to read type-writer.
D.In thesecond sentence, the noun computer should be replaced with the pluralcomputers.
9. Except in short-termmarketing material, using which of the following is a sure way to assure your
document will soon appearoutdated?
A.Unnecessarywords C.Trendy words
B.Adjectivesand adverbs D.Inclusive language
10. Generally speaking,the ______ should focus mainly on clarity and the ______ should focus mainly
11. When an editor isobliged by his or her place of employment to apply certain preset conventionsto
the text and layout of adocument, the editor is said to be working according to a(n)
A.editorialstyle sheet. C.electronic style sheet.
B.specificationsheet. D.house style sheet.
12. What’s the maindifference between mechanical and substantive editing?
A.Mechanicalediting involves closely checking a document for style matters, whilesubstantive
editing involves rewritingor reorganizing the text.
B.Mechanicalediting involves rewriting or reorganizing the text, while substantive editinginvolves
closely checking adocument for style matters.
C.Mechanicalediting is done by proofreaders, while substantive editing is done by editors.
D.Mechanicalediting involves two or more people reading a document at one time, whilesubstantive
editing involves only oneperson.
13. The purpose of aneditorial style sheet is to help the editor
A.watch formisspelled words.
C.documentthe errors made by the author.
D.watch forand correct improper grammar.
14. Which proofreaders’mark and marginal symbol would you use to indicate the needed correction in
the following lines oftext?
Using an editorial stylesheet during the reading of a manuscript permits editor’s to monitor the usage
of special words and wordforms.
15. How is an electronicspell checker likely to read and deal with the following sentence?
The four horseman of theApocalypse are mysthical characters.
A.Theprogram will pause at mysthical and automatically replace it with mythical.
B.Theprogram will pause at horseman and automatically replace it with horsemen.
C.Theprogram will pause at horseman and suggest the spelling horsemen.
D.Theprogram will pause at mysthical and suggest the spelling mythical.
16. The reason forinsisting on proper grammar in nonfiction documents is to
A.impressreaders with the author’s education.
B.promotethe use of appropriate grammar in written documents.
C.present aprofessional image to readers and critics.
D.facilitateclear communication of the document’s message.
17. To learn the properway to set up a table of contents, editors can use a
18. Editing andproofreading are sometimes called “hidden skills” because
A.whenthey’re done well, readers are almost completely unaware of them.
B.the namesof the editors and proofreaders aren’t listed on the title page.
C.authorsgenerally don’t appreciate the contribution of editors and proofreaders totheir document.
D.whenthey’re done well, authors are completely unaware that their documents havebeen revised.
19. When a proofreaderwrites stet in the margin of a document, the person responsible for inputting
A.insert aquestion mark at the end of that text line.
B.let thetext with dots under it stand as is.
C.set thetext with dots under it in italics.
D.wait forthe rewritten version from the author.
20. Which of the qualitiesrequired by a good document is violated in the following passage?
Every member of the familyhas chores to do each day. Fred and Tom feed the horses and cows.
Chopping wood is hissecond responsibility.