ACCT6004: Management Accounting- Research Component- Report Writing Assignment
1) Data Collection: 10% (25 marks)
A. You are required to collect data from the following five Australian job websites
B. Identify twenty (20) cost accounting or management accounting positions advertised during a 6-month period from 1 November 2016 to 30 April 2017. These positions must be based in Australia.
Note: Your positions must differ from those of other students in class.
Final Report: 20% (50 marks) – 1 000 words
Respond to the following requirements in your report. Note: References to Table 1 and Table 2 are required, where applicable.
Part 1: 300 words
1) Summarise the positions in the following areas:
A. The job websites where majority of your positions are found
B. The common sector (industry or government organisations) of the positions
C. Whether the positions are classified as ‘cost accountants’, ‘management accountants’, or other classifications (if so, what are these classifications?)
D. The common requirements, selection criteria, responsibilities, and others, of the positions
E. The common requirements, selection criteria, responsibilities, and others, which relate to cost and management accounting knowledge and skills
Part 2: 700 words
2) Describe the most common cost and management accounting skills and knowledge being sought for the positions. Discuss why these knowledge and skills are being sought. You are expected to explain and justify your own opinions in your discussion. You may refer to extra sources to support your arguments.
3) Identify the less common cost and management accounting skills and knowledge being sought for the positions. Discuss why these knowledge and skills are not as highly sought as those in Area 2 above. You are expected to explain and justify your own opinions in your discussion. You may refer to extra sources to support your arguments.
4) Draw practical implications from your research findings: Apart from cost and management accounting knowledge and skills, identify and explain any challenge(s) facing management accountants, which could be implied in the advertisements of the positions.
5) Explain and elaborate the alignments you have provided in the last column of Table 2: What are the specific topics that you have learnt in ACCT 6004, which have helped you align the cost and management accounting related criteria of the positions with the specific learning outcomes of ACCT 6004? To what extent do you think the subject learning outcomes are aligned to job requirements?
6) Reflect on your research: What cost and management accounting knowledge and skills, which are being sought for in the positions, are not taught in ACCT 6004? Do you think these knowledge and skills should, or should not, be covered in ACCT 6004? Why?