You are expected to complete a number of calculations, and then interpret the numbers to provide recommendations based on these analyses. It is essential both to show your work and calculations, and to demonstrate how these calculations support your conclusions. Be sure to explain your reasoning. You will be assessed on the accuracy of your quantitative analyses and the quality of the evidence you use to support your conclusions.
Imagine that you are an administrator at Jiranna Healthcare who has been asked to analyze cash-flow data to determine the costs and benefits of implementing a new capital project. For background, read “Capital Project Case Study, Part 1.” Then, complete the “Capital Project Case Study, Part 2” spreadsheet, which provides cash-flow data (costs and benefits) for the proposal. Download and save the Excel spreadsheet, and use the information provided to complete the following:
- Calculate the cash inflows and outflows for each year.
- Calculate the following metrics:
- Net present value (NPV)
- Internal rate of return (IRR)
- Modified internal rate of return (MIRR)
- Payback period
- Discounted payback period
- **In a 1- to 2-page report, provide your recommendation with rationale, as to whether the project is acceptable, assuming Jiranna has a corporate policy of not accepting projects that take more than 3.5 years to pay for themselves, and assuming an 11% cost of capital