Week 2: Family Therapy Journey
- Due Mar 28 by 11:59pm
- Points 20
- Submitting a file upload
Imagine that you are about to embark on a family therapy journey with a family of a cultural background that differs from your own, be it race, ethnicity, religion, or socioeconomic status. The readings have challenged you to find out as much as you can about the family’s background so that you are equipped with the information needed to form an effective working relationship with this family. Include answers to the following questions to guide the flow of your paper. Your paper should be 2-3 pages in length. Please use APA format and cite the references that you find while researching the family’s background.
- What family did you choose?
- How is this family different from your own? For example, how are their values and beliefs different?
- What rules do this family follow and how are these rules different from the rules that you and your family follow?
- What family roles exist?
- Are there any similarities that exist between you and this family?
- What information about the family will you need to process through your “cultural filter” in order to be most effective when working with the family?
- What aspects of working with this family do you find most challenging?
- How do you intend to overcome these challenges?
- What aspects of working with this family do you believe may be comfortable for you?
- What are the family’s issues?
- On which “level”, microsystem, mesosystem, exosystem, macrosystem does the family issue need to be addressed?
- Is the family an “open” or “closed” system?
- What interventions would you use with this family?
- What factors did you consider when choosing a particular intervention?
- What do you believe the family would most appreciate from you as a counselor and why?
- What do you believe the family would least appreciate from you as a counselor and why?
Weekly Application Assignment RubricWeekly Application Assignment RubricCriteriaRatingsPtsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAssignment Response4 ptsClearly & effectively responds to assignment.3 ptsResponse to assignment generally adequate & thorough.2 ptsMinimally responds to the assignment.1 ptsDoes not respond well to assignment.4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMain Idea4 ptsMain idea (Application assignment) very clearly stated & topic is effectively limited.3 ptsMain idea clear & topic is limited.2 ptsMain idea clear or implicit & topic is partially limited.1 ptsMain idea unclear & topic only partially limited.4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSupport4 ptsApplication assignment supported by a variety of relevant facts, examples, & illustrations from experience, references to related readings, etc.3 ptsApplication assignment is well-supported in body of paper by facts, examples, illustrations though support may not be as vivid as the “A” essay.2 ptsApplication assignment generally supported in body of paper by facts, examples, details. No more than one paragraph with inadequate support.1 ptsApplication assignment supported in body of paper by few facts, examples, details. More than one paragraph with inadequate support.4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSpelling and Grammar4 ptsFew, if any, minor errors in sentence construction, usage, grammar, or mechanics.3 ptsThere may be a few minor or major errors in sentence construction, usage, grammar, or mechanics.2 ptsThere are some common errors (major and minor) in sentence construction and mechanics but the writer generally demonstrates a correct sense of syntax.1 ptsThere are numerous minor errors and some major errors. Sentence construction is below mastery and may display a pattern of errors in usage and mechanics.4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeReferences4 ptsSupportive references material is incorporated logically & insightfully. Supportive references are documented accurately.3 ptsSupportive reference material incorporated logically. Supportive references documented accurately.2 ptsSupportive reference material incorporated adequately & usually documented accurately.1 ptsSupportive references material incorporated but sometimes inappropriately or unclearly. Documentation is accurate only occasionally.4 pts
Total Points: 20
Week 2: Narrative Therapy and Models for Step Family Development
With your understanding of narrative therapy and its usefulness with blended family, discuss how this intervention would be helpful with step families. Be specific with regards to key ideas and techniques from narrative therapy.
Compare and contrast Papernow’s 7 stage model with Kerns’ five-stage model for stepfamily development (described in chapter 2). Discuss which one you find to be most beneficial and why.